What a weekend it turned out!

Aaaaargh...Ten in the morning and I'm still feeling pretty stoned this morning. That's what happens to people who still insist on partying at my age.

I slowly creak out of bed, before dumping some six bottles of beer into the loo via a complicated system known as peeing.

OK..so what happened? A rocking weekend. That's what. It all started on Friday evening. St.Maria band club in Ghaxaq splashed a fantastic sum of money (or so I heard) to bring the Queen Rhapsody UK tribute band to Malta. So me and the wife were at Ghaxaq by 8pm, in the hope of securing a place at the front. Nothing doing...it was already jam-packed.


Naturally there were a couple of supporting acts that went down really well. First off, one of my favourite Maltese bands, Myth, bashed out an acoustic set that showed the real talent this band has - preparation, stage presence, and musical realisation. And humility.


Yep. Dion is ever so humble in accepting praises for the band, or the songs they write. But it's ever so true. Together with Karen, Patrick and Mark, they have been releasing songs like there's no tomorrow. And perhaps not surprisingly, songs that have been taken well by a receptive Maltese audience. What's more, they have been doing this for yonks!!!

Sometimes I wonder to what heights these guys would have gone had sponsorship money been available to them...

The second band to play was the 'Joe Brown Band'. Let me tell you in a few words. These guys are pros. Real pros. First off they had Eleanor Cassar take up the singing duties, and I was gob-smacked at the power in this little lady's voice. Absolutely amazing. Needless to say, most of the tracks were cover versions, but far from being easy, I would say doing a cover and doing it well is the epitome of perfection.


Eleanor also sang her Eurovision entry, and not for the first time, I wondered what made the people and jury vote for Chiara. Stupendous. Eleanor is another shy and humble girl away from the stage. When I talked to her about certain decisions, she shyly hung her head to the right and answered 'I will try harder next time.' No remorse or anger or cynical remarks. Another winner that I wish would have more air-time and sponsorship available...but where on earth does she hide that incredible voice in such a tiny frame?

Mark and Aldo of Lord Adder fame then took the stage, and the crowd went wild as they belted one rock tune after another...Smoke on the Water, Hotel California, You give love a bad name, and of course, something also from their favourites.. Beatles and CCR. I remember first seeing Lord Adder live way back in err... 1985 I guess....and like me, they never grew up! Absolutely great show. Obviously Joe Brown himself is nothing short of amazing. What a guy!

By this time the crowd had swelled to incredible proportions. There was simply no more space in the road and in the side streets. I had a great position....Exit Stage Left, and I could see clearly down to the bottom, and it was bedlam when Mark and Aldo sang Hotel California. Who hasn't heard of this great track? So the Ghaxqin, together with a huge contingent of 'outsiders' sang with much gusto... awaiting the arrival of Rhapsody.

And the Queen tribute band were greeted with fireworks as they made their way on to the stage. The following ninety minutes were a frenzy of inimitable music as written by the great band themselves. Rhapsody were nothing short of jaw-dropping as they belted one hit after another. The Ghaxaq crowd literally exploded as song after song unfolded, everybody chanting with the chorus and generally having a great time. The singer's 'Viva Santa Maria' then threw out a roar of epic proportions... I thought the band was technically very impressive. The bassist played with incredible gusto all round, and I feel he is the cornerstone of the guys, although in truth, nobody disappointed. The singer's voice war remarkably close to the great one's, and wisely kept from singing tones he could not reach. Maturity and professionalism.

The guys finished with 'We are the champions' naturally, and for the Santa Maria Band fans, this was the epitome of a great show, fireworks thundering in the sky above, people in their thousands chanting and holding their hands in the air. Spine-chilling. Finally it was time to take a bow, and with a gigantic 'Viva Santa Maria' banner held by the band, the crowd were whipped into a frenzy... this, my friends, is what ROCK music is all about.

An absolutely great evening! Thank you Ghaxaq! Viva Santa Maria!

Yep, so that was Friday...I think it was 2am by the time we arrived home!

SATURDAY evening.

What could be better than a rock festival. TWO rock festivals of course.

Around 8pm we left home to make our way to Ta'Qali National Park arena, where a feast of Rock and Metal was about to ensue. the guest stars this time? Nothing but 'Kiss Forever Band'.

Unfortunately the time constraints we had did not enable us to listen to 'The Red Labels'...damn. We started off by Estrella, a Scottish band I admit I had not heard of, but these guys are damn good! I enjoyed their show...I enjoyed it a lot. This band is a five-piece classic rock-blues band that has great stage impact. I am certainly going to look out for them!

Next up were our mighty FIRE!!! God I love this band. Up there with Myth as my all-time favourites. I don't think I will waste too many scrapes and bows here. The guys know I admire their music a lot, as of course, do many more real hard-rock fans locally. Fire gave us their repertoire from their debut album 'Ignite', as well as tantalising fare from 'Thrill Me' , their new effort.

People, don't take my word for it...just go and get this CD. Hehe...how many nights has Robert stayed up listening to this one as he produced it?

Next up were Reborn. I have to be brutally honest here. This band had grabbed my attention two years ago when we took part in the RockBAZE competition, and I seriously thought they would be in the top two. This time however, I thought they were disastrous. The brashness of the lead guitar made listening to what was being played nigh-on impossible. The sound was actually coming through as one indistinct lump. The covers the band played? Shockingly bad. For next time then.


Okay, then up to the main attraction, greeting the band with the now infamous 'You wanted the best...you GOT the best....' Only God knows how long I wondered if I ever would hear that live. The band in question is the Hungarian 'Kiss Forever Band'... but damn me they are frikkin good.

A good tastes and selection of music was played for the now large-ish and VERY enthusiastic crowd...crowd pleasers, such as - I was made for Loving you , Detroit Rock City, Rock n' Roll all night, Beth, Strutter, Firehouse, Love Gun, Cold Gin, Doctor of Love, Shout it out loud and a host of others...


This band has now visited its' 21st country, Malta, and the fans here could not be happier that this Hungarian quartet has been here to play. I must admit to being superbly impressed...

Looking around me I could see pensioners, AND children, painted up as Space Ace, or the Cat, and it made me smile, at how the power of rock can bring people of all ages together. After all, the pensioners were still 20-something back then when KISS started playing. Fathers and mothers all painted up towing their now teenage offspring with them...also painted up.


I enjoyed myself supremely throughout the whole set...and we only arrived home at 3am... So no wonder I am stonked out! Anybody wanting the pics from the show are free to ask for them on the email above!

LONG LIVE ROCK 'N ROLL!

Comments

  1. Good day !.
    You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
    There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
    The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
    Do you want to become a happy investor?
    That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

    I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
    I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
    It`s easy to start , just click this link http://pesijymuk.maddsites.com/ymaducyt.html
    and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello !.
    You may , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
    There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
    AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    It is based in Panama with structures around the world.
    Do you want to become an affluent person?
    That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

    I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
    I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
    It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ajinilam.arcadepages.com/kivexa.html
    and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone!
    I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

    For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
    I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
    Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

    [url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day, sun shines!
    There have were times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
    I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
    Now, I feel good, I started to get real money.
    It's all about how to choose a correct companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

    You can ask, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
    http://theblogmoney.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
    There is no need to invest much at first.
    You may commense to get income with a money that usually goes
    for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
    I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
    and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

    Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

    P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

    http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts